Friday 12 April 2019

Old dog new tricks

So tonight was the last net session before the start of the 2019 season. This was a Basildon and Pitsea club net facing the bowling of Phillip Took, Joe my son, Harrison Birch and Craig Thompson who are 1st and 2nd XI bowlers and I did pretty well against them. Craig who I've not batted against since last winter was the first bowler I face and I adopted my new approach which I've developed over the winter. He was surpised. Joe said when he got back in line he said "Whoa, I wasn't expecting that" and there-after in stark contrast to last year when he bowled me again and again I kept hitting the ball back past him again and again irrespective of any change ups. Phillp Took  was a different prospect he got me first ball, but thereafter was frustrated.

I'm hoping that the standard and speed of the bowling I'll be facing in the new league will of a much lower standard than seen in the nets over the winter and therefore this new approach will put me in good stead? The theories there and the practice has been put in, all I need to do now is execute it in a game situation and I'm aware that is very different. We'll have to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment