Sunday 13 May 2018

More practice in the paddock

Off the back of the 2nd XI game and the fact that I beat the batsman with my solitary Flipper, I've been further enthused. The bloke I bowled at and beat said last year he'd been playing both 1st and 2nd XI league cricket and he came in at No.5, so I'm assuming he's half decent. I've bowled in the nets at one of our best batsman Liam Rouse and he said my Flipper nearly got him and that I should bowl it more and finally last year against Thundersley I bowled against another bloke and nearly had him with the Flipper too.

So after years of not using it, I'm now very enthusiastic about it and working with it constantly. Currently in practice I bowl alternate balls... Leg Breaks and Flippers. The issue use to be that I always felt that the Flipper would work best if suddenly used out of nowhere and that always meant that it was pretty much a high risk ball in that it would probably be wayward and sure enough it was. I'm now looking at my use of leg-breaks in isolation and thinking that I need a variation. I can't and don't want to bowl Wrong-uns because of previously mentioned outcomes related to that. I've tried to bowl finger spin with a minimal amount of success and that looks as though it'll take absolutely weeks to develop. My Top-Spinner is a bit sketchy - too loopy and comes out as a small leg-break,but the Flipper I currently feel has some potential.

The plan is to roll it out in the next game this coming weekend and see how it works. How to use it is the next issue, do I try and bowl it alternately and see if that causes any problems or mix it in sporadically, or lure the batsman into thinking there's a pattern to the bowling and then change it up?

I'll try and get some video footage of me bowling it and post it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment